PlayStation VR Review: Sony successfully completed its project to create a personal virtual reality helmet. The long-awaited member of the PS4 family that functions with PS4 consoles appeared in the fall of 2016. By connecting the headset to the PS4 and pointing the PlayStation Camera at yourself, you’ll travel to another reality. The starting set of games was 17 pcs., by the end of the year, it is expected to launch 50 more projects. It requires a camera, headphones and joysticks or PS4 compatible steering wheels. And in short – you’ll like it.
A look inside the box:
- PS VR helmet headset;
- Stereo in-ear headphones;
- Processor module;
- USB cable;
- HDMI cable;
- Power cable and AC adapter;
- Adapter to connect the headset PS VR;
- Sony PlayStation VR package.
From a subjective point of view, the PS VR looks more futuristic than the Rift or Vive. Gamers’ reviews suggest that Sony has pleased with the successful design and interesting stuffing.
So, let’s start with the sound. Here we can see some curious things. In the package, we can find plug-in headphones. We recommend also buying headphones for the full immersion effect. In the future, it is better to select models of different costs to use with PlayStation VR. For hygienic purposes, Sony has equipped the headphones with special cases.
Since gamers use virtual reality, sound reflection is important. For example, approaching an object causes the sound to intensify. If it is removed, image contours get blurred, and the clarity of the lines is lost. The helmet can form Dolby Digital 7.1 (Dolby Digital), which does not depend on headphones. The use of models allows to receive rich sound information, and the game becomes exciting. The question is, why did we start the review with headphones? The answer is: “Unlike many (based on reviews), we do not consider this point unimportant. However, in reality, in games like Resident Evil 7, it helps to build a nice acoustic effect. Not surprisingly, PlayStation VR paid so much attention to this point. In the future, there may be sets where the PS VR comes with upgraded headphones.
Let’s get to the hardware. Sony PlayStation VR is a promising helmet that functions with PS4. We emphasize this point because recently, there have been some strange reviews saying that the gadget is only compatible with a new generation of consoles. However, it is not! The device we tested could connect to the PS4 and accomplish tasks effortlessly.
There are actually two modules in the hardware and software suite:
- The helmet. A voluminous headband, controlled by a button, is located in the back (in the same manner it controls the front panel). It is comfortable to use everywhere, except in rooms without air conditioning. Feedback from users indicates that in such rooms, lenses and head can sweat. Headphones are placed on top of the helmet, so it creates a kind of capsule, allowing you to shut yourself off from reality.
- Install the processor module on the PS4 and connect it to the helmet, the TV, and the console with the help of cables. We prefer to use cables similar to HDMI. The cable has a remote control:
– with audio controls,
– power buttons,
– a headphone jack.
There is a function that disables the microphones in the helmet. The image appears on the monitor. In the future, there will be games in which one gamer plays with their glasses while the other one is looking at the screen. This may elicit positive feedback from players.
- Playing with PlayStation VR will require 2 PS Move and PS Camera joysticks.
Characteristics of the device
The virtual reality helmet has the following characteristics:
- Visual parameters: Helmet: 187x185x277 mm (where width x height x length, protruding part is not considered).
- Processor module: 143x36x143 mm (where width x height x length).
- Weight of helmet without cable: 610 g.
- Processor module weight: approx. 365g
- Display technology: OLED
- Screen resolution: 960xRGBx1080 (one eye)
- Panel size: 5.7 inches, which brings to life a three-dimensional hyper-realistic environment thanks to the OLED screen.
- Frequency of frame change: 90 Hz, 120 Hz,
- Immersive overview: 95+ degrees. Seamless field of view – become a part of the living world.
- Sensors match: Six-axis motion tracking system (three-axis accelerometer + three-axis gyroscope)
- Interface connection: Virtual reality helmet: headset jack, AUX, HDMI.
- Processor module: HDMI PS4, HDMI TV, USB, AUX, HDMI.
- Processor module value: social screen (corresponds to mirror or separate mode), 3D sound, cinematic mode.
- 120 frames per second. Full visualization and extremely low latency.
PlayStation Camera’s three-dimensional depth resolution technology meticulously tracks the placement of the headset in space, DUALSHOCK 4 light bar, and PlayStation Move controller, transporting you to the center of the virtual universe.
Note the additional features. Using PlayStation VR, you will be able to watch videos, view photos, apply “Live Streaming,” and use the Share Play features. Hopefully, in the future, it will be possible to watch videos from all programs on the PS4 in the helmet.
During games, the distance between the gamer and the TV is 2-3 meters. This will help avoid collision with the equipment. Calibration occurs without complications, including prototypes. Joystick placement is tracked error-free; the player ends up where they were aiming. Reading the gamers’ reviews, one realizes that setting up the equipment and launching the helmet is accessible and understandable to everyone. The player has nothing to do but sit back and gamble away the villains in Rush of Blood.
If you compare PS VR to other VR games, it has a bright future. Using the infrastructure of the PS4 buy a helmet, accessories and start playing games. You do not need a powerful computer and other additional devices if you are ready to look at the principle of the game in a new way. Just buy the PlayStation VR helmet and immerse yourself in the world of video games. You will have the opportunity to enjoy non-game entertainment, hundreds of videos, movies for PS VR from the world’s popular channels, and producers of content for virtual reality. Judging by the reviews, it is exciting and engaging.
PlayStation VR in use
If you take a special sports application, you can do yoga or play golf, beach volleyball, racing, horror games, the military, etc. In the future, perhaps PS VR will be connected to the doorbell, and the owner will be able to examine the visitor from all sides before opening the door with a nod of the head.
This is a new approach to control and gaming. It is only up to the player to determine its ending.
The product brings enormous interest, fueled even before the helmet arrives on the shelves. Reviews of gamers are inspiring; people are willing to pay for PlayStation VR without even seeing the gadget.
If you wonder whether it is worth buying – the answer is, it surely is.