Very often people confuse the concept of a site and a web portal. The creation of an Internet portal will be of interest to those who wish to receive a new source of income or to promote their brand and business on the Web. The site is a more targeted resource than the portal.
In technical terms, it looks like mostly the same thing (a web page hosted on an Internet domain). Yet, in practice, there are many differences. The portal is a single page that contains links to various resources on different topics. At the same, an experienced web portal development company is quite multitasking. That’s why it can easily provide its clients with great solutions.
So, today we are going to discover this question in detail. Join us!
What are the peculiarities of web portal development?
First of all, the web portal is a large web platform that contains a lot of useful information, services, and links to other sites. The main aims of the website are to place a large flow of information, provide users with access to all the required data, and receive a lasting profit from the sale of promoting and assistance.
As for web portal development, it is a complicated process that has its own features.
The first goes the load. The portal hosts more pages and functionality than a regular site. Portals are designed for the daily flow of users who visit them regularly. Therefore, it becomes necessary to develop a site with the ability to withstand high loads.
Secondly, it is accompaniment. The portal needs to be regularly updated and updated. Therefore, technical support is usually needed, as well as a convenient admin panel so that you can publish information yourself. And, thirdly, we should mention the volume of development.
Stages of web portal development
- Form the concept of the portal. Before creating a web portal, you should decide on business requirements: goals, concepts, etc. It is also necessary to identify the main consumers of the portal: what are their motivations, needs, and pains. If these factors are not taken into account, then the demand for the portal may be lower or the wrong audience will be attracted.
- Write the technical task. We carefully formalize the functionality and requirements in order to develop the portal. A detailed TOR will allow you to specify the cost and terms of development with high accuracy and avoid unforeseen cost overruns in the development process. We help you to compile it.
- Develop the portal itself. Start creating the portal after the approval of the TOR. Design, develop prototypes and prepare interface design. Several specialists are involved in the creation of the portal at once. Then, program and launch a test version to understand what you will encounter at the launch of the main portal and take into account all the nuances. Afterward, you can bring the portal to the most effective result.
- It is time to test the portal. After the direct creation of the Internet portal, before the final release, analyze its performance both manually and with the help of automatic tests. This makes it possible to reduce the risk of bugs and maintain the reputation of the product in front of users. Also, launch the portal for public access. Set up and launch the portal. Also, Digiteum recommends testing production.
- The development and support of the portal. Do not leave you after the development of the portal site. Your developers should support the portal. They can develop new modules and, if necessary, promptly make adjustments.
The most popular kinds of web portals
Let’s briefly list the main types of Internet portals that are often developed:
- Corporate portals. A multifunctional high-load platform with a variety of interfaces and opportunities for organizing business work.
- Intranet portals (closed areas for employees).
- B2B portals. If you need to sell your goods and services through the portal to legal entities, this option is also possible.
- Information portals. The development of portals of this type for a narrow or wide audience is also very popular nowadays.
- News portals are the best for those who wish to publish news and create online media.
- Educational portals. This is the best option for online schools and courses. You will get your own platform where you can teach online.
Web portal design
This is one of the main stages in the development of a web portal, which includes the following steps:
- Study of topics and target audience. It is important to determine what and to whom the platform will offer.
- Choice of tasks and targets. As with the creation of any other Internet resource, it is necessary to emphasize the goals that need to be accomplished after the creation and launch of such a big website.
- Designing the structure of the web portal. Developers and clients need to understand what elements the future project will contain. At this step, you can estimate the budget and estimate the upcoming work.
- Picking out services that will be added on the website. Resolution of the practicality of the resource, its facilities, and services, thanks to which the work of the website will be implemented.
- Preparation of terms of reference, which will determine the main goals of the business and the wishes of the client.
- Development of document prototypes. It is necessary for the final coordination of work with the client and making changes, if necessary.
- Coordination of project cost. Getting approval from the client regarding the number of costs for the development of the portal.
One of the main directions of Digiteum and other companies involved in the development and promotion is the service of creating and launching Internet portals, which are large web resources with a complex structure, a variety of content, and services.
However, by investing in the creation of such a resource, its owners receive a good profit in the future. The reason for this payback is the large number of functions and opportunities that the Internet portal provides to both visitors and the owner.