Do you want to know how to move across the country at the lowest possible cost? Since the average cost of hiring professional movers for an interstate move is $4,890 (based on an average weight of 7,500 pounds and an average distance of 1,000 miles), it is normal and reasonable that you might be a little bit concerned about the fees that are involved. You should expect to save money by moving long distances with a moving company.
Relocating to a new city or state is an exciting adventure, but it can also be a financial burden. However, you don’t have to break the bank to move across the country. With some research and planning, you can save money moving long distances. In this article, we will explore several long-distance moving tips across the country and help you save money moving long distances.
Plan Your Move in Advance
- Start Early: One of the keys to a budget-friendly move is starting your preparations early. This will give you enough time to research and compare various moving options, and choose the most affordable one.
- Set a Moving Budget: Create a budget for your move and track your expenses. This will help you stay within your financial limits and avoid unexpected costs.
Choose the Right Time to Move
- Off-peak Season: Moving during the off-peak season (September to May) can save money moving long distance. Most moving companies offer lower rates during this time.
- Mid-month and Mid-week: Scheduling your move in the middle of the month and during weekdays can result in additional savings, as demand for moving services is generally lower during these times.
Declutter and Downsize
- Less is More: The less you have to move, the less it will cost. Sell, donate, or recycle items you no longer use.
- Moving Sale: Organize a garage or yard sale to sell unwanted items. This will not only help you get rid of unnecessary belongings but also give you some extra cash to offset moving costs.
DIY Moving Options
- Rent a Moving Truck: Renting a moving truck and driving it yourself is a cost-effective option for long-distance moves. You will need to load and unload the truck, but it can save you hundreds or even thousands of dollars.
- Portable Moving Containers: Another DIY option is using portable moving containers. These containers are delivered to your home, and you load them with your belongings. The container company then transports the container to your new location, where you unload it.
Consider Shipping Your Belongings
- Parcel Shipping: For smaller items, consider shipping them through parcel carriers like USPS, UPS, or FedEx. This can be especially cost-effective if you have friends or family who can temporarily store your items until you arrive.
- Amtrak and Greyhound: Both Amtrak and Greyhound offer affordable shipping options for larger items. Although they may take longer than traditional moving services, they can save money moving long distances.
Look for Discounts and Deals
- Moving Company Discounts: Research moving companies and ask about available discounts or promotions. Some may offer lower rates for military personnel, students, or members of certain organizations.
- Coupons and Cashback: Check websites for coupons or cashback offers on moving supplies, truck rentals, and other moving-related expenses.
Enlist Friends and Family
- Help with Packing and Loading: If you have friends or family nearby, ask them to help you with packing and loading. This can save money moving long distances on hiring professional packers and movers. But if you move long distances, you should contact long distance movers. Services such as loading and unloading, as well as packing and unpacking, are provided. You can put your energy into other areas of the move while they handle the heavy lifting.
- Borrow Supplies: Instead of buying packing supplies, see if you can borrow them from friends or family who have recently moved.
Be Resourceful with Packing Materials
- Free Boxes: Save money on boxes by sourcing them from local businesses, recycling centers, or online communities like Craigslist or Freecycle.
- Alternative Packing Materials: Use household items such as towels, blankets, and clothing as padding for your belongings, instead of buying bubble wrap or packing paper.
Opt for Terminal-to-Terminal Shipping
- Cost-Effective Solution: Terminal-to-terminal shipping requires you to drop off and pick up your belongings at designated shipping terminals, instead of having them picked up and delivered directly to your doorstep. This can result in significant savings, especially for long-distance moves.
Compare Moving Quotes
- Get Multiple Estimates: Before committing to a moving company or service, obtain at least three quotes from different providers. This will allow you to compare costs and choose the most affordable option.
- Negotiate: Don’t be afraid to negotiate with moving companies. They may be willing to match or beat a competitor’s quote to secure your business.
Consider Tax Deductions
- Moving Expenses Deduction: If your move is related to a job change, you may be eligible for a tax deduction on certain moving expenses. Consult with a tax professional to determine if you qualify and to maximize your deductions.
Save on Travel Expenses
- Drive Your Vehicle: Driving your own vehicle to your new location can save you money on auto transport costs and airfare.
- Plan Your Route: Plan your trip carefully, avoiding toll roads, and taking advantage of cheaper gas prices in certain states.
- Book Accommodations in Advance: If your move requires overnight stays, book your accommodations well in advance to secure the best rates.
- Pack Snacks and Meals: Bring your own snacks and meals for the road, instead of relying on fast food or restaurants. This can save you a significant amount on food expenses during your move.
In conclusion, it is possible to relocate across the country on a budget with the proper amount of research, planning, and resourcefulness. You can greatly minimize the cost burden of your long-distance relocation by investigating the many moving choices available to you, simplifying your home, and enlisting the assistance of friends and family members. Keep in mind that every dollar you save on the relocation can be used towards establishing a new life for yourself in your new residence. We hope your move goes smoothly!